Books By C. LItka

Books By C. LItka

Friday, September 3, 2021

SF on Youtube

 


I’ve recently discovered a Youtube channel devoted to science fiction; Media Death Cult, hosted by Moid Moidelhoff, pictured above. There are quite a few channels on Youtube devoted to fantasy that sometimes talk about science fiction. But Moid’s channel is the only one of the few that I’ve come across that are devoted only to science fiction.

I’m not quite sure what’s with the props he uses – from the title to the shoulder holster he wears. I guess it's the "cult" thing. However, the show is quite lighthearted and funny. And what’s more, he also gives very thoughtful and entertaining reviews of books, as well as being a lover and collector of books.

I have to say that for the most part I’m about a familiar with the books he talks about as I am with the fantasy books the fantasy booktubers talk about. As I have noted in earlier post, my knowledge of SF books published after 1970 is pretty spotty, gained mostly by browsing the SF stacks of the local libraries.

Anyway, I think that if you are interested in SF, you might want to give Media Death Cult a look here:

Media Death Cult


Another SF orientated Youtube channel is  Book Odyssey by Darrel William Moore, another Britisher who is, the author of what I believe are two self-published books. He reviews books and talks about different tropes and SF subjects. You can find his channel here: Book Odyssey









4 comments:

  1. Hi

    Thanks for this I have watched Media Death Cult and have found it entertaining. As you say some of the elements around the site are a bit strange, the name, holster and some of his language are a bit out there. But looking at the number and type of books people send he has quite a following. He also has done a lot with and on Alastair Reynolds a writer whose short fiction I really enjoy, I bog down a bit in his novels. It is interesting to see what books he has and has not read and the posts are lighthearted and varied enough that I quite enjoy them.

    Guy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Guy, We're definitely seeing SF through the eyes of someone who is A) British and B) discovered SF 30 years after we did. And for most of his viewers it's more like 40 years. It gives us old timers a different perspective on the genre. Our classics are ancient history. Still, I enjoy hearing about all the books I'm never going to read. Chuck

      Delete
  2. Hi Chuck

    I agree. I have also looked at Book Odyssey, a very different approach. But as you say it is interesting to see what they consider relevant from the Golden Age and what new authors they get excited about. It is also pointing me to some stuff I should read, boy the SF field is vast.

    Guy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Before the internet, unless you were a regular visitor to a good book store or a big library, you never knew what was out there. For several decades I was neither. For example, until the movie, I had never heard of Ender's Game.

      Delete