Books By C. LItka

Books By C. LItka

Wednesday, March 27, 2024

Passage to Jarpara, Final Thoughts and A Map

 


I've talked a length about Passage to Jarpara in several previous posts, so there isn't all that much more to say about the book. I rather rushed my volunteer beta readers to get this book out on the 21st of March. In part because this book, with all its fits and starts, has been in the works for some 18 months, and I just wanted to be done with it and have it out the door. The other factor is that I ain't as young as I used to be. I don't think I have one foot in the grave just yet. But at 74, I could drop dead tomorrow and no one would raise an eyebrow. Like Captain Hook with the crocodile that swallowed a clock, and had eaten his hand and found it tasty, one hear the faintly ticking of the clock at a this age. So there is no time like the present. For every writer, one of their books is going to be their last one, and if they die in harness, one left unfinished. I'd spent too much time and liked these characters too much to run the slightest risk it being that unfinished one. Hopefully it'll not the last.

As for the story itself. As I've said several times already, I've never been into writing epics. I enjoy reading small scale stories that somehow make everyday life interesting, either with pleasant characters, an interesting time and/or locale, and/or a quiet, but engaging plot. And that's what I enjoy writing as well. In this story I pretty much doubled down on that. The only overarching plot element is the journey to Jarpara and its University in the hope of finding employment. Every other element of the story is incidental. And almost, but not quite all, are everyday events, at least in the islands and on seas of the Tropic Sea. The story then depends on its pleasant characters, and interesting places with a travelogue motif. Hopefully that works for my readers.

This book is different from my other ones in that the romance element is subdued. The chase is over and Taef and Lessie are married. I had hopes of being able to write some witty dialog between them, a sort of Nick and Nora type of relationship, but I don't think I succeeded. In part I may've beyond the limits of my talent. But I will also blame the characters. Writers will sometime talk about their characters taking the story in ways they never envisioned, as if they had an agency of their own. I can see how that happens, though in this case it wasn't so much as taking the story where I wasn't expecting, rather it was the fact that Lessie never had all that much to say in either of the proceeding stories - she is a quiet character, especially in the company of her sister Sella, and I was unable, and/or unwilling to reinvent her for this one. I would've hoped to have made their relationship a little more complex than I was able to. But, as I said, that probably isn't in my wheelhouse as a writer.

I did enjoy the opportunity to bring back a lot of the minor characters from the previous books. I may've stretch coincidences a little to do so, but I used the opportunity to bring them back, even if only for a little walk-on part. It gave me the opportunity to explore Taef's beliefs and attitudes. I also had fun writing several new characters, one in particular that had been lurking off the page in the first two books. I won't say who, but that character was always going to be part of this story. 

A number of my beta readers expressed a desire to have more stories with these characters and setting, suggesting possible story lines. There are certainly plenty of story lines to pick up and run with, but I'm not planning to do so, at least not until I'm 84. As I've said when introducing this book, writing sequels of less than a bestselling series is for chumps. Stand alone books, "singletons", with open endings are the way to go until lightning strikes and you have a bestseller on your hands. Then you can write sequels until the cows come home or readers don't. Of course, if you look at my back catalog, I don't follow my own advice. However, I intend to going forward. No more sequels - except maybe, someday, a novella sequel to The Lost Star's Sea just to get Litang and Cin back together again at the ending. But, mind you, I'm not promising that, it is just something I'd like to do, just as I wanted to give Taef a job.

Well, I guess I've rambled on long enough to fill this post without saying much about Passage to Jarpara. But I hate spoilers, and hate spoiling my books more, so this is the last post for now on that book. 

Below is the official map for Passage to Jarpara. I don't include it in the ebook, as using maps in ebooks is a pain. 



No comments:

Post a Comment