Books By C. LItka

Books By C. LItka

Monday, April 13, 2020

Remarks and Observations Directed at the Clouds – Chinese TV Shows

Rookie Agent Rouge Image:  https://www.justwatch.com/us/tv-show/rookie-agent-rouge

When I want entertainment, I look for lighthearted, escapist entertainment. I don’t need drama in my life. Adventure, mystery, intrigue, humor, and romance, when handled deftly, are always welcome, at least in books and shows. I value, clever, witty writing, plotting, and good acting. I dislike gaping plot holes, trite, and predictable stories.

I like spending my time in the company of likable characters. Life is too short to put up with jerks, even in books and TV shows. Some unpleasant characters might be unavoidable as antagonists, but as long as I have pleasant characters to carry the story along, I’ll put up with a few rotten eggs. Some of the rotten eggs might even be redeemable.

I like stories that take their time in the telling. Stories that give me a chance to know the characters. I often find that good characters are usually more interesting that the story.

Plus I appreciate high production values – in sets, scenery, costumes, and cinematography.

These are the characteristics that I judge a show, or a book by. Right. On with the reviews.

The first two shows listed below served as my introduction to Chinese TV. They exhibit many of the chief characteristics of Chinese TV shows that I’ve observed over time.

These characteristics include intricate, 20 to 50 hour long, stories. They fall into the soap opera formula, featuring a number of plot threads woven into one long story. They’re in no rush, and will half a minute with nothing more than a character silently pondering his or her situation. Romance is a slow, slow burn. Plus, they are not afraid to make a mix of genres, with drama, action, romance and comedy alternating throughout the story. Another characteristic is that the male lead is of the strong, silent variety. He says very little. Heck, if he ever said what he was thinking, they could cut the number of episodes in half. On the downside, the stories may run a tad too long, and the endings are a bit over the top, at least to my tastes. And well, they have lame titles in translation.

Rather than summarizing the shows myself, I’ve included links that will take you to the wikapedia entry for all the TV shows I mention.

The Disguiser Image: http://dr-myri-blog.blogspot.com/2015/11/the-disguiser-episode-11-recap.html


Rookie Agent Rouge (Netflix – not currently available) 45 episodes.
The Disguiser (Netflix – not currently available) 41 episodes.

Both of these shows stories of the Chinese resistance to the Japanese occupation of Shanghai and northern China in the late 1930’s to early 1940’s. Rookie Agent Rouge has a rather pulp story feel to it, while the Disguiser, based on a novel, portrays more of the political aspects of the situation. Both shows show the harsh, and often cruel, nature of this occupation, with torture being the fate of any enemy of Japan.

I enjoyed both of these shows, and I’d rate them 4 stars out of 5

The Rise of Phoenixes  Image: https://meaww.com/the-rise-of-phoenixes-fans-reveal-makes-this-netflix-c-drama-beloved-all-over-the-world


The next two shows I watched were also historical dramas, but this time set in ancient China. A China that is probably more fantasy than historic. They are:

The Rise of Phoenixes (Netflix 70 episodes)
The Princess Weiyoung (Netflix 54 episodes)

The Princess Weiyoung  Image: https://zuriest.wordpress.com/2019/07/30/chinese-drama-the-princess-weiyoung/


These shows set in the imperial court or surrounding palaces, and mostly involve court intrigues. Since Chinese emperors had not only a wife but many concubines, they had numerous of sons – all of whom, it seems, wanted to be the next emperor. And who don’t mind bumping off their step brothers to clear their path to the dragon throne. Since they had to conceal their actions from their father, their deadly schemes needed be elaborate, making for much of the drama and intrigue in these shows.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I enjoyed science fiction for its exotic locales, and these versions of ancient China, with their exotic costumes, customs, along with the occasional kung-fu movie style of action, they manage to create a very exotic setting for their stories. Heck, I enjoy seeing all the exotic costumes and interior designs of these shows offer the viewer.

The romantic leads in The Rise of Phoenixes, one is just dressed up like a man... Can you tell who?
Image; https://ninja-reflection.com/2018/10/01/rise-phoenixes-novel-ending-ii/


I like my stories to be semi-realistic, without gaping plot holes. However, if I like a show, I’ll cut it some slack, as for example in The Rise of Phoenixes where the female lead does her hair differently, and dresses like a man (though there isn’t all that much difference) to pass herself off as a man. Realistically, this would only work in a kingdom of the blind. But it’s all in good fun.

I’d rate both these shows 4 stars out of 5 as well.

There are many more shows along these lines on Netflix, many of them pure Chinese fantasy, complete with supernatural beings, demons,gods, and all kinds of beings in between. I’ve sampled several, but most are too strange for me. I can, however recommend trying the one listed below.

The Legend of White Snake  Image: https://www.viki.com/tv/36277c-the-legend-of-white-snake


The Legend of White Snake (Netflix 36 episodes)

It had some strange, supernatural elements, but it also had interesting and likable characters as well. Another 4 out of 5 show.

Leaving the past behind, we come to stories set in modern China, which, as I mentioned in previous post, is a very futuristic place, since many of its major cities have been largely built within the 21st century. With these contemporary shows I find it interesting to note the cultural differences and similarities between China and the West.

Many of these stories are set within the upper 1% of the Chinese society. You see a lot of wealth on display in these shows – mansions and luxury flats, expensive foreign cars, and high class restaurants. I may have missed some of the gritter shows, but still, for a communist country, they seem to like celebrating their wealth in their TV shows.

I also found the glimpse of college life and life in the dorms rather interesting as well. It is these little glimpses of real life that I find fascinating. From the shows Netflix serves up to me, there are a whole lot of Chinese YA and college age shows. I’ve sampled a few, but that’s not really my thing.

When a Snail Falls in Love  Image: https://blog.onehallyu.com/drama-review-snail-falls-love/

When a Snail Falls in Love (Netflix 16 episodes)

This show is part mystery, part police procedural, part adventure, and part romance. I enjoyed all the parts.
Again, 4 out of 5 stars.

Next, are the two soap opera style, romantic comedies that I and my wife have watched to their conclusions.

Well Intended Love   Image: https://pikdo.info/p/coupletaichi_/2131893516545024143_14013427399


Well Intended Love (Netflix 20 episodes)

UPDATE: Well Intended Love has, of 15 April 2020 a "second season." Unlike most second seasons, this show has the same actors playing the same roles as in the first season, but is set two years later -- as if the first season doesn't exist. It essentially starts all over again with more or less the same premise; an aspiring actress agrees to marry, in the first season, and be the fiancee, of a very rich man in the second season. I've only watched two episodes, and I don't think it has the spark of the first season. I might well give it a miss this time around.
Put Your Head On My Shoulder (Netflix 24 episodes)

As I mentioned before, the male romantic lead is the strong, silent type which drags out the romance. My feeling is that these stories run a little too long. Well Intended Love had kind of a creepy premise, and a very over the top ending that seemed entirely out of place. I liked the characters, which is my first priority in a show. Put Your Head On My Shoulder is an example of a college romance story.

I’d give them, almost, 4 out of 5 stars, their run times and endings drag them down a bit.

Put Your Head on My Shoulder   Image; https://www.justwatch.com/ee/tv-show/put-your-head-on-my-shoulder


But as I said, there are many more similar romance/comedy shows from China involving young people to choose from on Netflix.

One last show, that I’ve watched, but not to its end, is The King’s Avatar. If you are into computer games, you might be interested in this show as it concerns professional esports players and teams in China. It has “in game” play in the show, and lots of intrigues within and between the teams and such. I’m not into video games, but it does have the key ingredient that I like in a story – likable characters. If I run out of shows, I might continue on with it.

The King’s Avatar

The King's Avatar  Image: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10732794/




No comments:

Post a Comment