Books By C. LItka

Books By C. LItka

Thursday, October 1, 2026

Comparing the Text-to-Speech Quality

 


I was curious as to how my books sound. Curious because I never listen to them. I probably should. If I had, I wouldn't have used "apparently" twice in the same paragraph... Oh well. So to compart the four auto-narrated book services I offer my readers, I recorded a brief section from the opening of The Darval-Mers Dossier, which happens to be on all four services; Amazon, Google,  Apple, and Spotify.  The Apple sample did not start at the beginning, but shortly after the other three, so it should give you a good idea of how it sounds.

With Amazon, Google, and Spotify, I chose the voice. I always choose a British English narrator. I usually have at least several to choose from, and choose the older, deeper voice. Apple does not give authors a choice of narrators. You get Jimmy Olson.

Below is a link to my Google Drive with a two minute audio-only video with the voices of the four services.

AUDIOBOOK SAMPLES

While I could make a game of it, I'll tell you the order. Let me know what you think of these voices and what one is best.

Amazon ($3.99)

Google (Free)

Apple (Free)

Spotify (Free)

Note: I recorded this on my phone from my Trivoli Audio radio and then played that recording from the phone to my computer, so that the quality of the sound is compromised. What we're concerned with is how human-like the narration is.

Note: 2 Since posting about my books being on Spotify, I learned that I can only publish 5 books with the current beta program. So the 4 Red Wine stories are up, and the first of the Nine Star Nebula Adventure/Mystery story, The Secret of the Tzaritsa Moon are available on Spotify. 

No comments:

Post a Comment