Books By C. LItka

Books By C. LItka

Friday, January 28, 2022

Self-Published Science Fiction Contest Result

 

Woke up this morning and I realized that I had not written a blog post for this week. Luckily, or unluckily, depending upon how you look on it, a subject to write about came up in my usual morning tour of web sites. Fantasy-Faction announced their top ten self published science fiction books for the Self-Published Science Fiction Contest, and my entry, A Summer in Amber was not among them. A disappointment, but not a terrible surprise. In any contest, the odds are always against you. I was, however, doubly disappointed in the fact that all they did was announce ten titles, with three going on to the semi-finals. For the fantasy version of this contest, they had, in a series of postings, given each title a little review before eliminating it, and I was expecting the same for this contest. While it can be argued that it is for the best in this case, I still would’ve like to see what they had to say about my story.

The ten blogs that have been judging this contest have been a mixed bag. At least three of them have written little reviews for all of the 30 books they were given. On the other hand, one just made a Youtube video in his car announcing his top ten, while others have yet to be heard from. I had thought myself lucky to be on Fantasy-Faction’s list, but it turned out to be, well, a wash, at best.

Still, I’m planning on entering Beneath the Lanterns in the fantasy version of this contest, and I’ll enter The Secret of the Tzaritsa Moon in the next version of the science fiction contest. I don’t expect to win, these represent my minimal/no cost efforts to promote my work – nothing ventured, nothing gained. And it is fun waiting to see what they have to say about your work – at least until they do. If they do.







3 comments:

  1. Yep, I missed your blog for this week and was happy to read your last entry :) .
    Concerning "A Summer in Amber": readers decide, not contests. As you know, I consider it one of the ten best, loveliest or whatever books of my approx. 66 reading years in life.
    "Beneath the Lanterns" is another example of solidly science-based, and at the same time, intriguing, exciting and fanciful work, hard SF and Fantasy merged. I don't need a contest to recognize good SF, but I hope it will get a good place!
    Regards, Hannes from Germany :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hannes. Thank you. I am very fond of A Summer in Amber as well. Like you, I don't believe contests and awards mean much of anything at all. I entered the contest, and will enter others, merely for the (slight) chance of introducing the books to a wider audience than pure chance offers and to see what blog reviewers think of them. The fact that that didn't happen with the blog that reviewed my book is my major disappointment. Hopefully better luck next time. Anyway, thanks again, Hannes.

      Delete
  2. Oops ... English is not my mother language. Read: "happy to read your newest entry" !
    Hannes

    ReplyDelete