Books By C. LItka

Books By C. LItka

Thursday, April 27, 2023

Eight Years Ago Today...


Eight years ago today I released my first book, A Summer in Amber. I had been working on it for three or four years prior to its release, along with the books that would become The Bright Black Sea and Some Day Days. It was inspired, in part, from watching the first two seasons of Downton Abbey on Netflix, with its premise of a romance between a commoner and the daughter of an aristocrat, with a bit of the Scottish stories of John Buchan tossed in. I thought I could do the romance better, and setting an Edwardian story in the future would not only save me a lot of time and grief trying to get Edwardian details right, but I could avoid the inevitable war that would soon follow. Avoiding the real world, while at the same time telling old fashioned stories set in the future, is a pattern I have followed to this day. 

It is interesting for me to think back on all the alternative story lines I considered while planning and writing this novel. There were many. My original idea was to make it something of a mystery concerning a scientific discovery by scientists who had taken up residence in the estate during the Storm Years. And then much more of a thriller with the stealing the invention by a ruthless competitor at the heart of the story, but I found that I wasn't a thriller writer. (Or am I? Stay tuned), Instead, I settled on a "what I did over my Summer Vacation" story, and the rest is history.

2 comments:

  1. So glad you settled on the style and setting you did. Since stumbling on you not so long ago have read all of your stuff and enjoyed it immensely, so nice to read books that tick the SF box but are people focused and don't involve interstellar war.
    Girl on the Kirb was great nd can't wait to see whatever you bring out next

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mikeh. Thank you for taking the time to comment. I am delighted to hear that you enjoy my stories. That's why I write, that's my reward. I write the stories I would like to read, and while I considered myself a SF fan, I think I've always been a fan of romances in the old meaning; adventures in exotic places. And I really don't think you need a war or a lot of violence to make an engaging story. That, anyway is what I try to do. As for what's next? A final Tropic Sea story is halfway done, and I'm thinking about a short portal fantasy. We'll see. Thanks again!
    Chuck

    ReplyDelete