Books By C. LItka

Books By C. LItka

Saturday, April 6, 2024

The Saturday Morning Post (No. 42)

 

There was a reason for rereading and, last week, reviewing Shades of Grey. And that reason is that I was preparing myself for the arrival of a book that I had never to expected to read. I actually never expected it to be written, since years ago I had learned that the planned last two books in the Shades of Grey trilogy, Painting By Numbers, and The Gordini Protocols had been cancelled due to the disappointing sales of Shades of Grey. But apparently the book slowly developed enough of a following, that a single sequel was greenlighted, and after the usual set of delays that seem to come with every Jasper Fforde book, it was in the mail. 

I had pre-ordered it from Amazon UK, as the last two of his books were either not released in the US or arrived a year later. But I see that this one is available from Amazon in the US. But it's here, and I've read it. Was it worth the wait?

My reviewer criteria. I like light, entertaining novels. I like smaller scale stories rather than epics. I like character focused novels featuring pleasant characters, with a minimum number of unpleasant ones. I greatly value clever and witty writing. I like first person, or close third person narratives. I dislike a lot of "head jumping" between POVs and flashbacks. I want a story, not a puzzle. While I am not opposed to violence, I dislike gore for the sake of gore. I find long and elaborate fight, action, and battle sequences tedious. Plot holes and things that happen for the convenience of the author annoy me. And I fear I'm a born critic in that I don't mind pointing out what I don't like in a story. However, I lay no claim to be the final arbitrator of style and taste, you need to decide for yourself what you like or dislike in a book.

Your opinions are always welcome. Comment below.


Red Side Story by Jasper Fforde  A

While this book has the same delightfully clever and witty writing of the first book, as indeed, do all of Jasper Fforde's work, it tells a much darker story, in keeping with his last two books, Early Riser and The Constant Rabbit. Given the discoveries of the first book, this story was always going to be a little darker, so it should have come as no surprise. What was surprising was just how harrowing the story turned out to be. In Shades of Grey, the narrator, Eddie Russett is a pretty naïve young many when he arrives in East Carmine, on the fringe of the Chromatacia, the society organized along what colors, and how much of those colors, an individual can see. Over the course of that story, he discovers, with the help of Jane, things aren't quite as they seem, which causes them not only to question everything, but to discover some of the answers and even more questions. Those answers come at a price. And they are determined to find the whole truth. In this book the truth comes at an even higher price.

This story takes place just a week or two after the events of Shades of Grey, with both Eddie and Jane awaiting trial for what they are suspected, falsely, of having killed the son of one of the powerful people in power in East Carmine. Even though the story flows seamlessly from the first, I have to wonder if this was the original continuing story  which Fforde had planned to tell in those cancelled two volumes compressed into one book. In some ways, it seems like this is the case, with Eddie and Jane quickly and rather effortlessly finding out a lot about the inner workings of the Choromatacia, much of which had been even hinted at in the first volume, much of it  simply told to them, rather than having them uncovering it themselves. This suggests to me that Fforde was pressed for time and plot, fitting two books into one. But on the other hand, there is one important character and one important plot line that looked to be an important part of the story going forward that is completely missing in this book, suggesting that the plot was significantly altered. 

In any event we discover many facets of this peculiar society - and hints of what lies outside of it - while Eddie and Jane await their trial, the result of which is a foregone conclusion, and not in their favor. And the more they discover, the more dangerous this knowledge is, to them, and everyone around them. Suffice to say real bad things happen.

When this book was first announced, Fforde was saying that this, and the next Thursday Next book were books meant to wrap up each of these series. And to a fairly good extent, this book wraps up the Shades of Grey series - not with all the answers, but with most of them. 

But wait a minute. After reading the book, I recently came across a YouTube video from the British SF bookstore Forbidden Planet, where they interviewed Jasper Fforde after a book signing. In that interview he talked about Red Side Story. He said that Shades of Grey was a book where he wanted to use characters of his own creation, and that he let himself go well, wild. However in Red Side Story, he wanted to rope the story in a bit, though it still seemed every bit as out there as ever to me. But with a much darker tone, not only because of the death sentence hanging over Eddie and Jane, but because their efforts to find the full truth put many more people at risk - for the more people know of the truth, the more dangerous it is for them. And then Fforde went on to say that he is now planning a third book. What? While it is certainly possible, given the revelations at the conclusion of the story, it would have to be a very type of different story - but apparently he has a good idea where he wants to take the story - I guess to its ultimate conclusion. That story is slated to be written after the Thursday Next book, and a stand alone book, which given Fforde's writing pace means that I can expect it sometime around March of 2036, so I'm not holding my breath.

So, what's the bottom line on Red Side Story? I think it's essential reading for readers who enjoyed Shades of Grey. It is every bit as entertainingly written as all of his books, and that earns a score of an A from me. However, I must confess that I don't see me re-reading this book half a dozen times like I did Shades of Grey. It is simply too dark of a story to fall in love with, for me to read again and again, no matter how clever it is written. If I ever reread Shades of Grey, I might go on to read this one too. But simply knowing the truth may be enough for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment