Books By C. LItka

Books By C. LItka

Wednesday, April 17, 2024

A New Wide Release Coming April 27th 2024!


27 April 2024 is the release date for my novella, A Night on Isvalar, as a trade paperback book, a free ebook in all the usual ebook stores, and as a free audio book on the Google Play Store. While this is not a new story, this will be its first release in paper and the first time it will be available outside of Amazon.

I wrote the story as a serial story for the launch of Amazon's Vella platform in 2021, on the off chance that the service would be a massive hit. At the same time, I also decided to enroll a novella version in the Kindle Unlimited program. My thinking was to use it more or less as advertising on those platforms in the hope that if readers found and enjoyed this story on those venues, they would go on to read more of my wide-release books. While this may've occasionally happened, the numbers sold/pages read - under 50 copies in 3 years - suggest that it would do better a better job by being sold wide for free. I had originally planned to make that move this summer, but when I looked into getting it out of the Kindle Unlimited program, I found that it's automatically renew date for another 90 days was on 26 April, and that all I needed to do to unenroll it was unchecked the auto-renew box. I did so, and so soon the ebook  A Night in Isvalar will be free and wide, except Amazon. What makes this release extra special is that the 27th of April will mark the anniversary of the release of my first book, A Summer in Amber, which I published on the 27th of April 2015. So here we are, nine years and fifteen books later. Time flies.

As you can see, I'm taking a slightly different approach to its new cover this time around, going with black and white line art only. This reflects my dislike of its current cover and my desire not to have to paint a new one for it, as well as its long history, which included a comic book treatment of the story.

The setting, and small parts of this story, are lifted directly from the first science fiction story I wrote, The Hybrid Worlder, which I shopped around to magazines back in 1980, without success. Just for fun I returned to the story with a different plot for a comic book treatment some ten or fifteen years later. And then, three years ago, the Vella opportunity arose with only a couple of months lead time. I decided to use the story yet again by rewriting the (unwritten) comic book picture version with major changes in the details, that I reformatted the twenty installments for the novella. While I had penciled in the whole comic book story, I had only inked a few pages, enough, however to be able to adopted a number of the panels to use not only as the cover art, but also as interior illustrations in the paper book, just to make the slim book a little special. The ebook version won't have illustrations as they are too clunky in ebooks.


Long story short - you will shortly have an opportunity to read a newly freed  C. Litka novella. It's a stand alone story set in an entirely different "universe" than any of my other stories - the first one I wrote stories in - which features faster than light starships. It uses a "tea clippers in space" motif as the background to the narrative.(I was into tea and tea clippers at the time.) I doubt that I'll write any sequels, though the story, like all of my stories is open ended.

The A Night on Isvalar blurb;

It was supposed to be a quiet night. It was anything but.

Riel Dunbar grew up and, for many years, sailed out of the little moon of Isvalar, the interstellar port of Aeroday. But then the restless life of a starfarer carried him away for decades. Chance had now brought him home with a promised long leave ashore. But, it turned out, that was not to be. Instead he found that he had only a few free hours to spend on Isvalar.

His plan was simple. He’d dine at an old haunt of his youth, and then, after a brief nap, he’d visit the starfarer dives of Isvalar for a real spree before sailing. But Riel hadn’t counted on crossing orbits with Cera Marm, the powermate of a rival ship. Somehow he found himself entangled in her plans – plans that included not paying a gambling debt to a very persistent bookie and his collectors. Riel’s night on Isvalar turned into a hectic series of chases and escapes across the little moon, encountering neuro-blade wielding thugs, a snake obsessed shadow-rat gang, an auton enforcer, and the bookie himself. It didn’t end well.

A Night on Isvalar is a 26,200 word novella. 





No comments:

Post a Comment