Books By C. LItka

Books By C. LItka

Wednesday, October 25, 2017

The Fashion of Tallith Min

The general look of how Tallith Min dressed -- from a Ralph Lauren 2013 Fall Fashion Show


Despite being an artist, I don't have a visual memory. So, when it comes to writing, I usually have only a rather vague impression of the places I set my stories and scenes in. I'm sure that some, if not most authors can picture in their heads, the scenes they write about, but I can't -- not in their entirety, at any rate. I can sort of focus on some of the necessary details, but for the most part, I try to give just enough details to allow the reader with a better visual memory than me, to fill in the blanks. This goes for my characters as well. I don't have anything more than a vague, visual sense of them physically, and rather than construct them out of words I can't picture, I simply leave them vague for each and every reader to picture as they choose.

That said, I did have a sense of how Tallith Min dressed. The pictures below,  from a Ralph Lauren fashion show, give that sense of how she dressed, though the details differ. I envisioned a bit more Napoleonic military uniform style -- more buttons and jackets rather than big coats. Still, these photos informed my sense of the character.

They come from a cool site called The Sartorialist, mostly devoted to highlighting how people dress to express themselves and their creativity. The photos below come from this entry:
http://www.thesartorialist.com/photos/ralph-lauren-fallwinter-2013-2/




Here are several more from the fall Ralph Lauren Fall 2013 show that has the same look.




No comments:

Post a Comment