Books By C. LItka

Books By C. LItka

Saturday, March 30, 2024

The Saturday Morning Post (No. 41)

 


I've set myself up for an impossible task - describing, reviewing and recommending a book that I've read maybe six times over the last thirteen years, making it perhaps my favorite book of all time. The book is not Anne of Green Gables. Or anything like it. Instead, it is a strange, silly, satirical, mystery/post apocalypse novel. It's a slice of live story that only covers just four days. But a lot happens in four days. I recommend it to everyone, knowing that it's not a book for everyone. I will say, however, that I think most people who have read it on my recommendation have liked it, though not to the extent I do. So, without further ado, tallyho! 

My reviewer criteria. I like light, entertaining novels. I like smaller scale stories rather than epics. I like character focused novels featuring pleasant characters, with a minimum number of unpleasant ones. I greatly value clever and witty writing. I like first person, or close third person narratives. I dislike a lot of "head jumping" between POVs and flashbacks. I want a story, not a puzzle. While I am not opposed to violence, I dislike gore for the sake of gore. I find long and elaborate fight, action, and battle sequences tedious. Plot holes and things that happen for the convenience of the author annoy me. And I fear I'm a born critic in that I don't mind pointing out what I don't like in a story. However, I lay no claim to be the final arbitrator of style and taste, you need to decide for yourself what you like or dislike in a book.

Your opinions are always welcome. Comment below.



Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde   A+

I think I'd best start with the writing before I get to the basic premise of the story. This book offers exactly what I value most in a book; a small story (though with big implications), a first person narrative with a focus on characters, which is written with a great deal of clever wit and humor. I'm not a lad for silly stories, as a general rule. Silly, slapstick humor doesn't have a great appeal to me. But having said that, this story has a great deal of silliness in it that is handled in a matter of fact way. It's part of the humor. What redeems it for me is that all the silliness is grounded in the premise of the society the story is set in. It is not silliness just for the humor of silliness. It only seems silly to us because we are peering into this world from our own. Everything is very real to the characters in the story. Wodehouse was a master of this; while you couldn't take his characters, and the situations they get themselves into, seriously in our "real world", they are, however, entirely believable within the make-believe world he creates; a world that is just next door to our world.  

Part of the charm of this book is that it is a mystery on several different levels. We are dropped into this world without an info-dumps. You have to just sit back and go with the flow and abandon the desire to make immediate sense of the world. Fforde builds this world step by step throughout the entire story, and slowly you get a picture of a very closed, hieratical society where stasis and stability are the goal with human characters who are not quite like us. The second mystery is what lies behind the curtains of this society. It is the mystery that our narrator, Eddie Russet, slowly discovers, or rather discovers its existence, because he is a mite too curious. 

The basic premise of the story is that the humans of this society can usually only see one or two primary natural colors, if that. What colors they can see, and how much of that color they can see, determines their place in this very regimented society; a collective ruled by an elaborate set of rules and the highest color seeing members of the collective. There are, however, synthetic colors that everyone can see. Seeing color is one of the great desires of these humans. Showing off one's predominate color using these synthetic colors is a status symbol. The story is a post-apocalyptic on set some 500 years after "Something Happened," though what happened is not known. 

Our narrator, Eddie Russet, (everyone has the last name of related to the primary color they can see) has been assigned to conduct a useless task -a chair census - for a month in a remote town in Wales as punishment for a practical joke he did. Or so he believes. His father accompanies him as a replacement swatchman. Swatchmen are the doctor to these types of humans; curing various ailments by showing a specific synthetic color to the patient. (Think of the pantone series of color samples, if you're familiar with them.) They find that the collective's own swatchman has died under mysterious circumstances, and nothing is quite as it seems. This town is on the fringe of society and the rules are rather loosely interpreted. The story covers only four day as Eddie uncovers a deadly secret with the help of Jane, a "grey" girl i.e. someone who can't see any colors, and are the manual labors of the collective, making enemies in the process.

Enough. 

Here's the opening paragraphs to give you a taste of how the book reads;

It began with my father not wanting to see the Last Rabbit and ended up with my being eaten by a carnivorous plant. It wasn't really what I'd planned for myself  - I'd hoped to marry into the Oxbloods and join their dynastic string empire. But that was four days ago, before I met Jane, retrieved the Caravaggio and explored High Saffron. So instead of enjoying aspirations of Chromatic advancement, I was wholly immersed within the digestive soup of a yateveo tree. It was all frightfully inconvenient.

But it wasn't all bad, for the following reason: First I was lucky to have landed upside down. I would drown in under a minute, which was far, far preferable to being dissolved alive over the space of a few weeks. Second, and more important, I wasn't going to die ignorant. I had discovered something that no amount of merits can buy you: the truth. Not the whole truth, but a pretty big part of it. And that was why this was all frightfully inconvenient. I wouldn't get to do anything with it. And this truth was too big and too terrible to ignore. Still, at least I'd held in my hands for a full hour and understood what it meant.

I didn't set out to discover a truth. I was actually sent to the Outer Fringes to conduct a chair census and learn some humility. But the truth inevitably found me, as important truths often do, like a lost thought in need of a mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment