Books By C. LItka

Books By C. LItka

Thursday, August 24, 2017

The Bright Black Sea Revised Version 5


I've reread, revised, and released version 5 of The Bright Black Sea. I make no claims to being a proofreader, especially of my own work. I tend to read what I expect to read, and when it comes to my own work, I pretty much know what I'll find, (whether it's there or not) so I don't look all that closely. That said, I did add a lot of Oxford commas, broke up some run-on sentences, added a few words here and there to make it read smoother. I also eliminated a few words and some lines that even I couldn't make head or tails out of. Along the way I corrected a the few misspellings (i.e. Strata is the plural of stratum, not “stratums” – go figure) and generally conformed to what my spell checker wanted. (For example, it doesn't like “onboard,” which is a perfectly good word. I changed it to “on board” just to make it happy.)

In addition to his housekeeping, I did some minor revisions. I made the opening a little sharper. I always felt that it was rather awkwardly written. I rewrote the scene where I introduced Botts. I had written it before I had any idea what I was going to do with Botts, so with the advantage of 20/20 hindsight, I wrote what I think is a much smoother scene. I papered over several minor plot holes – not because they were all that important, but because I hate plot holes, especially my own. And I added a little bit of explanations here and there. Again, nothing to write home about. I hate reading blurbs that give half the story away, so I avoid outlining my plots in the blurbs, and since I don't know if you've read the story or not, I'm going into the details of the plot holes or revisions. If you're curious, drop me a line.

All in all, I was happy with what I found when I read through the story again. I believe it has been a year since I last read it – but this time was a bit different – I've written a lot more words since then, and I've gotten Litang's story to its ending, so I was able to look on it as the final product. Of course, it is what it is, and nothing I did changed that. But when you go back and read something that you started writing four or five years ago, it can be rather iffy. You could well discover something that you'd not want to be found dead in a ditch with. The Bright Black Sea has its flaws, but I think it is a story I can be proud of. So, if you haven't gotten around to reading the story yet, or if you ever want to reread it again, make sure you have version 5. It's free, as always.

No comments:

Post a Comment